Monday, February 13, 2012

Snacking and dirty dozen

Something I've always known since marrying my husband of almost 6 years is this: he loves to snack. Especially late at night. And ever since THIS post, I've only been buying what we need for that particular week. Which has been great, for my sanity, and our budget, but something isn't working right. When Ross is hungry, he goes scavenging in the kitchen...and when you only buy what you need for a certain week, there isn't much to scavenge.

So, that made me think. How can we fix this problem? I want my man to be happy and have healthy snacks to munch on when it's scavenging time. So, I did the most logical think I could think of. I asked him. What would you like to snack on? (He's quite a picky eater and how ever much I'd like to be, I'm not a mind reader.) His answer was super vague and not very helpful, so I'm not yet quite sure what to do. However, I will figure this out! I know I can't solve every problem in my life, but I want to at least try.


On another note, I've been reading a lot about the "dirty dozen" and the "clean 15" lists. Ever heard of those? The dirty dozen are the 12 fruits and vegetables that tested the highest in 2010 for pesticides. They are: celery, peaches, strawberries, apples, blueberries, nectarines, bell peppers, spinach, cherries, kale/collard greens, potatoes, and imported grapes. The clean 15 are supposedly the lowest in pesticide residues: onions, avocado, sweet corn, pineapple, mangos, sweet peas, asparagus, kiwi, cabbage, eggplant, cantaloupe, watermelon, grapefruit, sweet potato, and honeydew melon. I haven't given much thought to any of this, but it keeps coming up, so I might need to start paying attention. I do know one thing, I definitely need to start scrubbing my fresh veggies/fruits. No, I have not been doing this (oopsie). Yes, I will start, especially since we can't really afford to go all-organic. In my opinion, it's all about doing what you can, not about going broke to be "healthy." (but actually getting my kids to eat veggies is an issue in-and-of itself, so this point may be moot anyway!) 


Totally unrelated to anything in this post, last week the temp was in the 50s and 60s. And today it snowed...so weird. But at least it's acting like winter now!
♥ CONSIDER SHARING THIS POST WITH YOUR FRIENDS IF YOU LIKE IT ♥
Facebook Twitter StumbleUpon Digg Delicious Reddit Technorati Mixx Linkedin
[Get this Widget]

2 comments:

  1. I too read about the dirty dozen and thought "that's all the things we eat right now" and the "clean 15"? Not so much :(

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer and Copyright

All information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. Whether you try any of my methods or ideas is totally up to you. I am in no way saying you should do everything the way I do, every family is different and you should find out what's best for yours. I would, however, be delighted if you tried some new things in your own lives (whether be my ideas, your own, or someone else's), and shared it with me.

Also, you may use any of the content of this blog for your own personal use, but please do not take the ideas on my blog and claim them as your own. You may link back to my site with proper credit. This is much appreciated.

Helpful Sites

The Frugal Girl (frugality, repurposing, etc)


The Pioneer Woman (recipes)


MCP Actions (photography, PS/PSE actions)


Coffeeshop Blog (photography, digital design and PS freebies)


Digital Photography School (photography)