Monday, January 9, 2012

Shelf life

I've been working on a post for several days, which is why my blog has been blank since last week. But I came across a site today that I thought was so helpful and wanted to pass it on. But first, I wanted to share a few things I learned from the site...

Did you know that you should always hold off on washing grapes until you’re ready to eat them?
According to the California Table Grape Commission, the reason is that the excess moisture created by washing speeds up the grapes' decay. To keep grapes at their freshest, store them unwashed in a plastic bag in the refrigeratorAs noted here, fresh grapes usually keep well for up to a week in the fridge; you can also freeze grapes for future snacking or use in cooking. (I had no idea you could freeze grapes. How did I not know this??)
Quick tips:
Store tomatoes at room temperature
For maximum flavor and juiciness, keep them out of the refrigerator until they're full ripe. (This is really helpful, I always keep mine in the fridge)
Freeze whole lemons and limes
An easy way to ensure you've always got fresh lemon and lime juice on hand when you need it.
Don't store eggs and milk on the fridge door
For maximum freshness, move past the door and keep eggs and milk in the main compartment of the fridge.
Don't store potatoes near onions
They should only come together when you're ready to cook them. 
Here are a list of foods that are surprisingly freezable:
Opened wine
Eggs
Brown rice (uncooked)
Butter
Milk
Nuts
Fresh herbs
Tomato paste
Bread (I freeze my homemade bread frequently and freezing works well)
Maple syrup (100% pure)
All of this comes from a handy site called stilltasty.com: your ultimate shelf life guide. It has just about every food you can think of, how long it stays good in the fridge and in the freezer, and other good information too! Check it out!
♥ CONSIDER SHARING THIS POST WITH YOUR FRIENDS IF YOU LIKE IT ♥
Facebook Twitter StumbleUpon Digg Delicious Reddit Technorati Mixx Linkedin
[Get this Widget]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer and Copyright

All information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. Whether you try any of my methods or ideas is totally up to you. I am in no way saying you should do everything the way I do, every family is different and you should find out what's best for yours. I would, however, be delighted if you tried some new things in your own lives (whether be my ideas, your own, or someone else's), and shared it with me.

Also, you may use any of the content of this blog for your own personal use, but please do not take the ideas on my blog and claim them as your own. You may link back to my site with proper credit. This is much appreciated.

Helpful Sites

The Frugal Girl (frugality, repurposing, etc)


The Pioneer Woman (recipes)


MCP Actions (photography, PS/PSE actions)


Coffeeshop Blog (photography, digital design and PS freebies)


Digital Photography School (photography)