Friday, January 27, 2012

DtD Challenge # 11 - BAGELS!

I love bagels. Especially one slathered up with cream cheese. I mean, who doesn't love a good bagel? No, they're not very filling nor very healthy, but they sure are good. So, when I found this recipe on pinterest, I thought it sounded easy, yummy, and definitely worth trying. The writer said making bagels is no harder than making a loaf of bread, which I do every week, so I was pumped.

I've been sickly all week, so haven't felt like doing much of anything outside of the bare necessities. However, when I woke up this morning, I felt determined to try it. Heck, I even went to the gym this morning for the first time since I got sick.

So, after we had breakfast, and Jude was occupied watching a new show call Octonauts (which is super cute, by the way), I set to work.

Mixing all the ingredients together

Kneaded for 10 minutes and rolled into this ball

Divided in to 9 equal sized balls (the recipe called for 8, but I had an extra)

Rolled out into dough bagel shapes


Boiling the bagels. This was weird. I know it's a normal part of the bagel making process, but I haven't boiled dough, ever. So yeah, this was weird.

Into the oven they go...

All done and ready to be slathered with lots and lots of cream cheese.

Conclusion: They tasted good. Really good. Better than store bought bagels, even. But, mine weren't as fluffy as regular bagels are, and I'm not sure why, which was kind of a bummer. And the process of making these was tedious. I was busy with these for over an hour, and I felt like I had neglected my children a little. Making loaves, or even rolls is not near as hands-on time consuming. There's a lot of sitting and rising, but I can leave that and go play with my kids until time to pop them in the oven. With these bagels, there was the kneading, dividing, rolling, boiling, then baking. It felt like a lot, and I'm not quite sure it was worth the effort.

They also seemed to be lacking in something. They tasted a bit plain. I used 2 cups wheat flour and 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour. So, what was missing?

Will I make these again? Possibly. I'll have to tweak the recipe a little, and figure out why my bagels weren't fluffy before I try it again. Baking bread, any kind, is an art and takes lots of practice. So, I'm not giving up on you forever, you delicious slice of circular yumminess, you. Just for the time being.

Up next week: I need to be inspired photographically. So my plan is to get out this weekend and take pictures. Preferably somewhere outside, and somewhere away from my house. I'm hoping it will be sunny...and I'll be here next week to report to you to show you what I saw!
♥ CONSIDER SHARING THIS POST WITH YOUR FRIENDS IF YOU LIKE IT ♥
Facebook Twitter StumbleUpon Digg Delicious Reddit Technorati Mixx Linkedin
[Get this Widget]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer and Copyright

All information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. Whether you try any of my methods or ideas is totally up to you. I am in no way saying you should do everything the way I do, every family is different and you should find out what's best for yours. I would, however, be delighted if you tried some new things in your own lives (whether be my ideas, your own, or someone else's), and shared it with me.

Also, you may use any of the content of this blog for your own personal use, but please do not take the ideas on my blog and claim them as your own. You may link back to my site with proper credit. This is much appreciated.

Helpful Sites

The Frugal Girl (frugality, repurposing, etc)


The Pioneer Woman (recipes)


MCP Actions (photography, PS/PSE actions)


Coffeeshop Blog (photography, digital design and PS freebies)


Digital Photography School (photography)