Saturday, December 10, 2011

DtD Challenge #7- GRANOLA!

With all the homemade things out there, granola was last on my radar. Not for any reason, other than I just never thought about it. A good friend of mine makes her own granola and I thought I should do this...I COULD do this! So I did. We would eat granola around here more often if it wasn't so expensive. I love to have it in my greek yogurt, and its good for you! (minus all the sugar, which is why I wanted to make it myself so I could control the amount of sugar that went in). 

So, I got my friend's recipe and took a shot at it. 

I bought some off-brand old fashioned oats and applesauce and set to work. 


The first batch: Was too applesaucy, and I way overcooked it, which made it look like this:

Doesn't that look appetizing? No? It doesn't to me either. I'm not sure even the dog would eat that. I was sorta bummed, but that's to be expected. I usually mess up the first time I cook something. 

So, I tried again. I put less applesauce, more honey, and cooked it for a shorter amount of time. 

It turned out better, it tasted yummy! But it was still a little too hard. I went a bit too oven-happy again. Apparently you need to take it out of the oven while its still soft and let it harden while cooling. I didn't know this, so I kept cooking it, thinking it needed to harden while in the oven. 

Then I ran out of oats. Boo. I will try this again, (I want to try THIS recipe) and hopefully will continue to do it once I get the hang of it. It's much more healthy, and way more cost effective...not to mention, SO yummy! 

Next week: this is kind of silly, but I desperately need to get our family ornament done this year because last year's didn't get done at all...and I'm sad about that. So, I need to put a time frame on it and just do it. You guys will keep keep me accountable, right? :) 
♥ CONSIDER SHARING THIS POST WITH YOUR FRIENDS IF YOU LIKE IT ♥
Facebook Twitter StumbleUpon Digg Delicious Reddit Technorati Mixx Linkedin
[Get this Widget]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer and Copyright

All information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. Whether you try any of my methods or ideas is totally up to you. I am in no way saying you should do everything the way I do, every family is different and you should find out what's best for yours. I would, however, be delighted if you tried some new things in your own lives (whether be my ideas, your own, or someone else's), and shared it with me.

Also, you may use any of the content of this blog for your own personal use, but please do not take the ideas on my blog and claim them as your own. You may link back to my site with proper credit. This is much appreciated.

Helpful Sites

The Frugal Girl (frugality, repurposing, etc)


The Pioneer Woman (recipes)


MCP Actions (photography, PS/PSE actions)


Coffeeshop Blog (photography, digital design and PS freebies)


Digital Photography School (photography)