Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Fitness tip from 10Fitness

Ross and I are members of 10Fitness, and one of the things I love about the gym is that they send tips to me via email. Even if its something I've heard before, I still find encouragement in hearing it. Here is the tip they sent me this week....



"One of the many benefits of regular exercise is increased and sustained energy throughout the day. 
Healthy Lifestyle Tip: Seeing Is Believing
In life and work, success begins with a goal. Before we can believe in a goal, we first must have an idea of what it looks like. “We must see it before we can believe it” is where visualization comes in, which is simply a technique for creating a mental image of a future event. When we visualize our desired outcome, we begin to "see" the possibility of achieving it. Through visualization, we catch a glimpse of what is, in the words of one writer, our "preferred future." When this happens, we are motivated and prepared to pursue our goal.
Studies show that visualization increases athletic performance by improving motivation, coordination and concentration. It also aids in relaxation and helps reduce fear and anxiety. In the words of one researcher, "Visualization helps the athlete just do it and do it with confidence, poise, and perfection."
Visualization does not guarantee success. It also does not replace hard work and practice, but when combined with diligent effort and a strong support network, it is a powerful way to achieve positive behavioral change and create the life you desire."

In my own fitness journey, I have found this to be true. Sometimes when I'm running and I get tired, I envision myself running a race, or getting to the finish line of a race, and it helps get me to the end of my run, when otherwise I might quit because I'm too tired. Or sometimes I just envision myself getting to the next mile. It really does work, folks! Try it the next time you feel yourself wanting to give up or even if you're having a hard time getting off the couch. Imagine yourself finishing that race or feeling that awesome feeling you have when you've fit into those skinny pants you've been wanting to get back in to. It really sounds silly in my opinion, like some new-agey thing, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do if you want to reach your fitness goals. 

Now get up and get moving! :) 
♥ CONSIDER SHARING THIS POST WITH YOUR FRIENDS IF YOU LIKE IT ♥
Facebook Twitter StumbleUpon Digg Delicious Reddit Technorati Mixx Linkedin
[Get this Widget]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer and Copyright

All information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. Whether you try any of my methods or ideas is totally up to you. I am in no way saying you should do everything the way I do, every family is different and you should find out what's best for yours. I would, however, be delighted if you tried some new things in your own lives (whether be my ideas, your own, or someone else's), and shared it with me.

Also, you may use any of the content of this blog for your own personal use, but please do not take the ideas on my blog and claim them as your own. You may link back to my site with proper credit. This is much appreciated.

Helpful Sites

The Frugal Girl (frugality, repurposing, etc)


The Pioneer Woman (recipes)


MCP Actions (photography, PS/PSE actions)


Coffeeshop Blog (photography, digital design and PS freebies)


Digital Photography School (photography)