Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Too much info!

I was at the library last week with my boys, looking for cookbooks. First, I want to say that this is frustrating. There are 40billion cookbooks out there, but most of them have things like vegetable curry, or pan seared chicken shallot something-or-other. The dishes have so many ingredients and half of them I wouldn't even know where to look for them in the store. Not to mention my kids would never eat that mess. However, I did find a cookbook that I love and will share with you tomorrow!

Anyway, off of that soap box and onto the next. 

While I was looking for cookbooks, I came across this book:

I thought it looked right up my alley, since I've been looking for ways to live more chemical/crap-free. I was pumped to start it...and by page 5, I was thoroughly freaked. I think I'm beginning to understand the term that you can know too much. 

I'm not an "ignorance is bliss" type person, but I definitely don't want to know everything there is to know about what all can harm you...especially when there's nothing I can do about some of it. 

In this book, she talks about how our furniture has chemicals in it, our mattresses, our clothing, our floors, in just about everything. Don't forget that we shouldn't use candles because of the toxic fumes they put off. Cook with non teflon pots/pans, and never, ever microwave any of your food in a plastic container, unless you want a heavy dose of BPA in your food. And this isn't even the half of it.

Whew. That exhausted me just writing about it. I was left thinking, this is just crazy! Who has that kind of money/time/energy to do ALL of this? Am I going to get cancer tomorrow because I burn candles in my house? I understand the need to be more aware and more wise with our choices, but there is a point where it can be taken too far...in my opinion. And she cusses a lot in the book. I don't have anything against a cuss word or two, but when bad language is used frequently (even the word GD was used), I find it very distracting, and really just pointless. I'm not trying to judge, but personally speaking, its a turn-off. 

I will say that there was a lot of helpful information in this book. I did not realize that our kitchen sponges carry more bacteria in them than our toilets. There are lots of helpful tips on how to have your own vegetable garden, and kill pests the natural way. There is a whole write-up on how to compost (which I may try some day). And I was reminded of things I had forgotten about, like how important it is to clean your makeup brushes.

Overall, I don't recommend this book, unless you want to be totally freaked out and grossed out. Or you are just a glutton for punishment. We do need to be more wise with how we live...we do not, however, need to go crazy with it. 

I want to leave you with the sweetest image ever. I love watching these boys love on each other!

And congratulations to my sweet sister and brother-in-law on the birth of their second baby today. Welcome to the world, Lainey Adele! I am so excited for them and can't wait to meet her...hopefully in a few weeks! 
♥ CONSIDER SHARING THIS POST WITH YOUR FRIENDS IF YOU LIKE IT ♥
Facebook Twitter StumbleUpon Digg Delicious Reddit Technorati Mixx Linkedin
[Get this Widget]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer and Copyright

All information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. Whether you try any of my methods or ideas is totally up to you. I am in no way saying you should do everything the way I do, every family is different and you should find out what's best for yours. I would, however, be delighted if you tried some new things in your own lives (whether be my ideas, your own, or someone else's), and shared it with me.

Also, you may use any of the content of this blog for your own personal use, but please do not take the ideas on my blog and claim them as your own. You may link back to my site with proper credit. This is much appreciated.

Helpful Sites

The Frugal Girl (frugality, repurposing, etc)


The Pioneer Woman (recipes)


MCP Actions (photography, PS/PSE actions)


Coffeeshop Blog (photography, digital design and PS freebies)


Digital Photography School (photography)