Tuesday, April 17, 2012

New ways to season veggies

I am feeling very unmotivated today. When that happens, I usually try to inspire myself in whatever area I'm feeling unmotivated in. Lately, I've been unmotivated in my cooking, not really wanting to venture out and cook anything new. So, what do I do? I get cookbooks and look online to try to spark my interest of things that look good and want to try.

When I roast or steam my veggies, I usually do the same flavors. Salt, pepper, butter and garlic powder (or salt). It usually tastes good, but I long to do something different with them, I just never know what.

I've been looking through this One Pot Meal cookbook and in the back, they had some really great flavors to try with your roasted veggies. These are the ones I'm going to try:

1. Cardamom-butter - Before roasting, toss the veggies with 3 tsp melted butter, 1 tsp canola oil, 3/4 tsp ground cardamom, 1/2 tsp salt.

2. Garlic-Thyme - Before roasting, toss the veggies with 2 tbsp EVOO, 2 tbsp fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried), 1/4 tsp each salt and ground pepper. About 5 minutes before the vegetables are done, stir in 1/4 cup thinly sliced garlic and continue roasting.

3. Maple - Before roasting, toss the veggies with 2 tbsp pure maple syrup, 1 tbsp melted butter, 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice, 1/2 tsp salt and ground pepper. (Never ever thought of using maple syrup on my veggies, Yum!)

4. Mediterranean - Before roasting, toss the veggies with 4 tsp EVOO, 2 minced garlic cloves and 1/4 tsp salt. After roasting, toss with 1/2 tsp freshly grated lemon zest, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp dried oregano and 2 tsp capers (optional).

5. Spicy orange - Before roasting, toss the veggies with 4 tsp EVOO, the zest of 1 orange, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper. (This sounds delish!)

I have been wanting to use more zest in my recipes, and am pumped to try some in my veggie roasts!

♥ CONSIDER SHARING THIS POST WITH YOUR FRIENDS IF YOU LIKE IT ♥
Facebook Twitter StumbleUpon Digg Delicious Reddit Technorati Mixx Linkedin
[Get this Widget]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer and Copyright

All information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. Whether you try any of my methods or ideas is totally up to you. I am in no way saying you should do everything the way I do, every family is different and you should find out what's best for yours. I would, however, be delighted if you tried some new things in your own lives (whether be my ideas, your own, or someone else's), and shared it with me.

Also, you may use any of the content of this blog for your own personal use, but please do not take the ideas on my blog and claim them as your own. You may link back to my site with proper credit. This is much appreciated.

Helpful Sites

The Frugal Girl (frugality, repurposing, etc)


The Pioneer Woman (recipes)


MCP Actions (photography, PS/PSE actions)


Coffeeshop Blog (photography, digital design and PS freebies)


Digital Photography School (photography)