Friday, April 6, 2012

A Good Friday Post

This has been a rough morning. My kids’ attitudes have been just plain stinky, and we had to come home from our errands early because they just weren’t acting right. So, when we got home, I sent them to their rooms for awhile, explaining to them the reasons they were going to their rooms. But as I did that, I was reminded of how important it is to discipline gently and to extend love and grace to them as I correct them.

I always want my kids to feel loved and safe. Even when they do things that aren't good, I always want them to know I love them no matter what, in spite of what they do. So, I told them as I put them in their rooms that they were loved and accepted no matter what they did. “Mommy loves you no matter what.” Those words are powerful, but they didn’t come from me. Those words first came from Jesus.



“As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you.” John 15:9 


Which led me to thinking about today, Good Friday, and what Jesus’s love for us really means. He loves us no matter what.“We know love by this, that He laid down His life for us; and we ought to lay down our lives for each other.” 1 John 3:16

When I think about this day and what it represents to me as a follower of Jesus (and I think about it a lot), sometimes I don’t quite know how to express how I feel about it. Some days the words/thoughts/feelings come and I am overflowing with gratitude. Other days I am stunned and awestruck at the cost, which leaves me speechless. 

But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. Isaiah 53:5

It was a beautiful thing, what was done on the cross, but very costly. As I sit here today and reflect on this day, a few things go through my mind.

I am humbled.
I am moved.
I am shaken.
I am changed.
And I want it to change me more.

I pray often that I would love others (and especially my kids) as Jesus loves them. But do I really want that? Jesus endured a lot because of His love for us. He suffered, He died willingly for love. Will I be willing to do the same?

And I’m not just talking about physical dying either, although that is included. I’m talking about dying to my selfishness, pouring out my life to my kids and to others, living for others and not myself, caring about others’ joy. I know it will cost me a lot, a lot of my time, my energy, my everything. But, this is what I’m called to do. This is what I want to do. And I want to do it well.  

I just remembered that I was supposed to post about my laundry room, but we have been sickly this week and I just haven’t felt up to vacuuming and getting the last finishing touches done on cleaning it. So, it will have to wait til next week.

Hope your Good Friday is a blessed one!
♥ CONSIDER SHARING THIS POST WITH YOUR FRIENDS IF YOU LIKE IT ♥
Facebook Twitter StumbleUpon Digg Delicious Reddit Technorati Mixx Linkedin
[Get this Widget]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer and Copyright

All information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. Whether you try any of my methods or ideas is totally up to you. I am in no way saying you should do everything the way I do, every family is different and you should find out what's best for yours. I would, however, be delighted if you tried some new things in your own lives (whether be my ideas, your own, or someone else's), and shared it with me.

Also, you may use any of the content of this blog for your own personal use, but please do not take the ideas on my blog and claim them as your own. You may link back to my site with proper credit. This is much appreciated.

Helpful Sites

The Frugal Girl (frugality, repurposing, etc)


The Pioneer Woman (recipes)


MCP Actions (photography, PS/PSE actions)


Coffeeshop Blog (photography, digital design and PS freebies)


Digital Photography School (photography)